Thursday, November 10, 2011

Introduction

          My name is Brandon and I Married A Birth Mother! My beautiful wife placed a Child through LDS Family Services about 9 Months prior to meeting me. We have an open adoption that has been a blessing to our lives in so many different ways. Ever since we started dating and were married, adoption has been a big part of our lives. She has volunteered for many birth panels and attended a couple adoption conferences. Recently I attended a FSA "Families Supporting Adoption" Conference with my wife and one our friends and her husband who had placed a child using LDS Family Services at the same time. I was asked to help out in speaking at a panel called "So I Married A Birth Mother". We were asked to talk about our story. About how we met our wives, how our wives told us they had placed a child through adoption, how it has affected our lives, whether it was an open or closed adoption, if the adoption had any negative sides to it that affected us personally and how we planned on telling our future children. Most of the people that were listening were birth mothers who had placed a baby and had questions or concerns about dating after adoption. After listening to the questions and concerns that those girls had and seeing the fear they had regarding rejection and  /or being judged by others I was inspired to write this blog. As I write more into this blog I will write more about my story and how it has impacted my life personally and share the stories of others and their experiences with adoption and dating and the affects in which it has impacted their lives. I hope this blog will help those who worry or are scared to date after they have placed a child through adoption. I also would like this blog to help those who are quick to judge in changing their thoughts about adoption and the strength and courage in which it takes to be able to place a baby for adoption to ensure that child has a better life. I promote all to ask questions or comment or share their story to help those who are concerned about dating or pursuing the dating scene. However I due not promote negative comments or suggestions. If your comments or thoughts are not positive or supportive to the help of others than please do not comment. Thank you for reading and I look forward to discussing the stories of others and hopefully helping others that may have similar situations in adoption and dating.

11 comments:

  1. We love you guys and miss Ruthie! We are excited to read and follow your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so awesome! So glad you are doing this, I'm sure it will be a blessing to many!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The concept of this idea is amazing. My boyfriend always says that there's no handbook on how to date a Birthmom. He struggles with how to deal with me when I'm going through Mothers Day and her birthday. I already sent him this link so he could realize he's not alone

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am excited for your blog! Male voices in the adoption community are so rare and yours is definitely unique.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for starting this blog, your voice is needed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone for the comments. I really look forward to seeing how far this blog goes and how many lives this may help. Were always looking for more topics and ideas to discuss as well as stories of birth mothers dating and there experiences as well as husbands of birth mothers. So please if you would like to discuss a certain topic please send it to me in the ask a question tab. Any stories you would like to share please send to imarriedabirthmother@yahoo.com Thanks again and please share this blog with all your friends.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A question: When you say open adoption, does she/do you all have visitation??
    I placed through LDSFS as well, but I was only given a semi-open option, with pictures and updates. If there is a way to increase the openness, I'd be very interested to know that it has at least worked within LDSFS elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have a very open adoption where we have visitation. We see our little girl very often. The way we are with our family is so close that both us and the adoptive family consider us as part of the family where we are always being invited to there family events and so on and so forth. As for increasing how open your adoption is I am not entirely sure. Making your adoption more open depends on a few things. Do you yourself have contact with the family? If so you will need to talk to them and work something out with them. If you don't have contact with the family then you will need to talk to LDSFS and than they can contact the family and see what they say. But opening your adoption can be made but contact will have to be made either to the family or through LDSFS.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you have anymore questions please go to the "Ask a question/Faq" tab and that will send me an email personally where I can write you back quicker and discuss things more personally one on one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Brandon, this is indeed a good handbook of sorts. And hope and light to shine the path. - Clare

    ReplyDelete